Table of contents:
- 1 Main types
- 1.1 Silicone
- 1.2 Acrylic
- 1.3 Silicone-Acrylic
- 1.4 Polyurethane
- 2 Choose the composition for the bath
- 3 videos
Bathroom refers to rooms with high humidity. Exactly therefore, when carrying out repair and finishing work it is necessary select appropriate materials that are resistant to moisture. An important step in the finishing process is the sealing of joints, through which can leak moisture, as a result a fungus forms and mold. Previously, special grouts were used for these purposes. different shades, but now in the hardware store you can find more attractive offer – sealant. Big enough the assortment leads the consumer into confusion, because it is not known Which bath is better? The answer to this question can be found in this article.
The main types
Sealants are chemical compounds intended for protection of seams and joints from moisture. The composition includes all kinds of compositions made from polymers with diverse modifying additives. To decide which is better, it’s worth study the entire classification.
This is the most common group of sealants that has very popular. It is caused by elevated water repellent, long service life and good adhesion.
- Acidic (vinegar). Affordable price makes it more attractive to consumers, but it is worth considering that there is some usage restrictions. So, due to entering its acid composition is not recommended for metal surfaces – it promotes oxidation. It can be applied only for elements made of stainless steel.
- Neutral. No acid is used in the production, which allows you to apply it to all types of surfaces. It affects and cost – it is higher than the cost of the previous analogue. Neutral is especially recommended for acrylic elements, in particular bathtubs. You can use it with almost any temperature, because it tolerates even sudden changes temperature.
In addition, it is worth highlighting another classification of silicone sealants:
Each of them has its own purpose and scope. So, if you need to decide on the choice of aquarium or sanitary sealant, it is worth considering that the first type is used when gluing and sealing glass surfaces (e.g. aquariums), and the second – for plumbing, plumbing and sewer systems.
Silicone compounds have a high rate of water resistance. Using it is quite simple, which allows you to cope with work even for a novice.
The advantages and features of this category are also many:
- affordable price;
- high adhesion to almost all types of materials, even porous;
- lack of unpleasant odors.
The latter became possible due to the absence of organic solvents, which means you can work with the mixture without special protective equipment (respirators). Already a day after Application layer is completely dry. In stores you can find two types sealants: moisture resistant and unstable. The second group is not recommended for use in the bathroom, therefore focuses on the first group.
To decide which one to buy, acrylic or silicone, you need to decide on all the types of surfaces that you need will be treated with a protective compound.
A significant drawback of acrylic based sealants is low elasticity of the coating. It can only be used for surfaces that will not be subjected to deformation.
A combination option is considered to be sealants, which include Both acrylic and silicone are included. Thanks to this combination materials, he is practically devoid of all the shortcomings that are in analogues described above, but he retained all of them advantages.
As a result of applying the solution, an insulating a coating that has such positive characteristics as:
- moisture resistance;
If you want to protect surfaces from mold, then this category fit best. The top layer is most resistant to formation and the spread of fungus.
In some cases, this group of sealants may be used as glue. Two elements securely connected among themselves and at the same time are sealed.
The production uses innovative polyurethane mixtures. The polymerization process is activated upon first contact with air, as it contains moisture. To the positive side this group of sealants should include:
- ease of use;
- low percentage of shrinkage;
- high adhesion (to all types of surface);
When working with this type of sealant, the manufacturer recommends take care of hand skin protection – just arm yourself with rubber gloves.
Even after exposure to moisture, the layer will only become more durable, this type of insulator is absolutely not afraid of mechanical damage and deformation. When working with polyurethane sealant it’s worth considering that it quickly sets and hardens, therefore, all actions should be clear and accurate. If you opened the packaging, you must use it completely, otherwise residues harden.
You can fill the cracks
It is worth noting that this kind can be used as glue glue small fragments if necessary or produce crack repair. After complete drying, the stitches are stained or varnish.
In addition to the above types of sealants, there are others, for example, bitumen and thiokol, but for our purposes they are not fit, so we will not dwell on them.
Choose a composition for the bath
To finally understand how to make a choice for bathroom, you must pay attention to the following:
- High-quality sealant should, first of all, have increased water resistance.
- If there is a mark “sanitary” on the product, you can use it is not only for finishing materials, but also for sealing plumbers. In the manufacture of manufacturers supplement the composition antibacterial and antifungal supplements that aimed at resisting the formation and development of fungi.
- Consider when choosing that the composition can be colored, white or transparent.
- In addition to the above varieties, it is worth considering that such materials can be professional and intended for household purposes. Beginners in repair finishing work give preference for the second group, since it will work with them much easier.
Today in stores you can distinguish several most common brands. This is “Moment Sanitary” and “Titanium sanitary. “If you need to choose the composition to work with plumbing and plastics, then study the brands on which there is a mark “for acrylic and PVC.”
When choosing a sealant for the bathroom, you need to consider everything Three main criteria:
- resistance to mold and fungal formations;
- non-cracking paste-like (gel-like) consistency;
- adhesion to all types of materials and surfaces.
In order not to make a mistake in choosing, it will be enough to stop your choice on popular brands that have established themselves with the positive side.
The technology for applying sealant is as follows: