At home or industrial use with a circular saw you can cut a thin metal sheet, but she can’t handle thick metal workpieces or make curly cutting. In this case, a band saw will come to the rescue, able to cope with any thickness of metal, most importantly, pick up the right canvas.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 1 Scope
- 2 Technical Parameters
- 3 Tooth set
- 4 Recommended Cutting Modes
- 5 Persistence and speed
- 6 Top 10 Best Models
- 6.1 Jet HVBS-712K 414459M
- 6.2 Jet HVBS-712K 414459T
- 6.3 TRIOD BSM-115/230 211015
- 6.4 Stalex BS-260G 388017
- 6.5 Proma PPK-115 25330742
- 6.6 Jet MBS-56CS 50000320M
- 6.7 PROMA PPS-170H 25017000
- 6.8 METALMASTER BSG-220 00000014719
- 6.9 JET J-349V 50000333M
- 6.10 ENCOR Corvette-422
- 7 Selection and operation of equipment
- 8 Advantages and disadvantages
- 9 Owner Reviews
Scope of application
- 1 Scope of application
- 2 Technical specifications
- 3 Tooth setting
- 4 Recommended Cutting Modes
- 5 Durability and speed
- 6 Top 10 best models
- 7 Selection and operation of equipment
- 8 Advantages and disadvantages
- 9 Owner reviews
The band saw is used not only at home, but also in mass industry, for example, in manufacturing, factories and construction sites. The latter pays off faster if used on them band saws, as they save work time, thereby increasing performance. Band saw creates longitudinal, transverse and curly cuts with an even cut.
A standard band saw consists of:
- Durable housing.
- Powerful engine.
- Cloths with sharp teeth.
- Fixed sponge vise.
- Saw tension screw.
- The mechanism loading and feeding material for processing.
- Control panels.
Band saws for metal from saws for wood are small web speed and more powerful motors capable of withstand heavy loads.
To get a smooth cut, carefully choose cutting blade. It looks like a flexible strip with sharp with teeth, it is put on two drums, one of which is connected to electric motor.
Cloths are made of various metals, but recommended choose from carbon steel. Most often used bimetallic band saws cutting even nickel-based alloys and titanium.
The wiring is called alternately bending the teeth: one to the right, the next one is in the center, the third one to the left and so on. Stronger than them tilt, the higher the required engine power, the wider the cut and the less friction between the saw and the material, which means that there is no overheating machine tool.
Proper breeding extends the life of the saw, gives a smooth cut, reduces vibration and blade noise. Band Saw Blade metal should be sharpened every time after the end of work or as they become dull. The dumber saw, the lower the quality of work and higher required motor power. Cloths with teeth are sharpened with using special machines with abrasive discs.
Situations in which wiring is required:
- Transition to summer or winter. Tooth tilt in winter should reach 90 degrees, in summer such a strong slope undesirable to use.
- If the teeth are damaged.
- For sawing a certain metal.
In hard metal work, such as steel, webs with large teeth. Soft metal, such as aluminum, is treated a ribbon with a small tooth, otherwise its large edges will make it uneven. Step the teeth are variable and rhythmic, the first is suitable for cutting thick pipes, and the second for delicate work.
Recommended Cutting Modes
High speed is fraught with the fact that the machine can make a lot of noise and vibrate, and the sheet from overload is dull at best, in worse, it will burst or deform. Therefore, you need to control chip feed:
- Thick, curly, elastic – ideal shavings. Feed rate and speed matched correctly.
- Thick, hard, short or brittle – reduce speed and the pace of the saw. Check cutting fluid.
- Thick, hard, elastic and short – slightly reduce feed rate, check the correct pitch of the teeth of the blade.
- Thick, hard, elastic and long – slightly increase the pace feed, check the teeth of the blade.
- Thin, straight, elastic – increase the feed rate.
- Powdery – reduce saw speed and increase pace filing.
- Thin, tightly twisted – reduce the feed rate and use a blade with a larger tooth pitch.
Durability and speed
The durability of the band saw depends on:
- The correct cutting mode.
- The quality of the tape web.
- Saw designs.
- Material and shape of the case.
- Qualities of cutting fluid.
If the machine suddenly vibrates, then you need to change the speed feed in the right direction. The dumber the teeth of the tape web, the higher should be the feed.
Top 10 best models
The top best models include both floor and table band saws. If the former are massively used in production, then the latter are purchased for household or private workshops. The best metal band saws have a powerful motor and are easy cope with hard metal.
Jet HVBS-712K 414459M
Price: 110 000 rub.
American metal band saw is equipped with reliable and powerful motor that can work for several years without breakdowns. Has quick-clamping and rotary disks, an integrated system cutting fluid that cools during cutting blank to avoid overheating. The machine can work not only in horizontal but also upright. Using a belt gears select one of four belt speeds. It is connected to 220V power supply.
Jet HVBS-712K 414459T
Price: 109 000 rub.
Unlike the above metal cutting machine, this semi-professional, powered by 380 V. hydraulic feed system and circuit breaker the end of the cut. Thanks to a powerful motor, this machine withstands heavy loads and is able to work for a long time. Keyless and tightly fixing vice rotate an angle to 45 degrees. The kit includes a wire brush for cleaning workplace from shavings.
TRIOD BSM-115/230 211015
Price: 33 500 rub.
This small vertical band saw is designed for works not only with metal, but also with wood. Quality assembly guarantees a long service life. Sawing vertically or at an angle. Reliable vice eliminates workpiece displacement during work. During operation, the speed is adjustable from 20 to 50 meters per minute. The machine has a special storage tray tool. Even a beginner can handle a saw.
Stalex BS-260G 388017
Price: 145 000 rub.
This powerful band saw easily copes with thick metal, therefore massively used in industries and factories. Machine easy to operate and gives high precision cutting. Possesses two belt speeds and a coolant pump. To increase stability, its support legs can attach to the floor. For convenience, there is a scale for adjusting the angle cut.
Proma PPK-115 25330742
Price: 35 000 rub.
The metal saw has a rigid structure, high performance and three speed modes. Belt drive protects the engine from overloads. Due to its light weight and parameters it is easy to move around the room. During work almost noises and produces a low level of vibration, which increases comfort level of work.
Jet MBS-56CS 50000320M
Price: 75 000 rub.
This tape saw model is considered reliable for production. medium-sized, produces cuts at three different speeds. Thanks to its robust construction, vibration is minimized, allowing to carry out accurate and accurate work. Replacing tape quick and easy, without additional tools. The machine is equipped automatic engine shutdown and hydraulic system filing. Transportation is carried out using the wheels of the machine.
PROMA PPS-170H 25017000
Price: 154 000 rub.
It features excellent performance and ease of management, gives excellent quality of work on metal. Equipped with emergency a button that turns off a powerful three-phase motor in case of wrong work. It has a simple saw tension mechanism tapes. It is chosen for serial and small batch production.
METALMASTER BSG-220 00000014719
Price: 132 000 rub.
Thanks to the three-phase motor, the machine can not be turned off for cooling. Saw for metal has two speed modes: 45 and 90 m / min. There is a removable tray, in the process of collecting shavings, so that little time is spent on cleaning. Saw the frame is lifted manually, and lowered under the weight of its own weight. During operation, the model does not make noise and vibrates slightly. Is available strain gauge showing the tension of the web, due to which it turns out high quality cut.
JET J-349V 50000333M
Price: 40 000 rub.
The compact band saw in the room takes up little space, easily copes with metal profile workpieces with a diameter of up to 12.5 centimeters, so it is most often chosen for small workshops. It has infinitely variable speed mode and low vibration. Saw blade reliable and easy fastens, produces an even cut. The equipment can be independently to move, without resorting to the help of hoisting mechanisms.
Price: 29 700 rub.
Cheap model hit the top due to high-quality assembly of reliable components. It works with different types of materials, including including metals, has a rotary vice and limiter cut lengths. Belt drive saves the engine from overloads, extending its life. For convenience it has an additional Desktop. Vibration and noise during operation practically do not felt.
Selection and operation of equipment
When choosing a band saw for metal, you need to consider these factors:
- The thickness of the saw – it should be from 0.9 to 1.1 mm. Less thickness, the lower the feed should be. Standard thickness 1 mm is considered.
- Saw width – from 14 to 80 mm, most often used cloths with a width of 31-41 mm. Wide band saws are easier cope with thick metal.
- Tooth pitch is the distance between the sharp edges of adjacent teeth. The smaller the distance, the more jewelry work. Big the distance is suitable for working with solid metals, in this case apply low speed. When regrinding, you must follow so that the step remains the same.
- Tooth shape – the best shape is considered if the front angle of the tooth has 10 degrees, the posterior angle and the height of the tooth have little effect on result.
- Number of teeth – the more teeth, the smoother the cut thick-walled metal billets.
- The size of the teeth – large teeth are chosen for deep cuts, medium – for curly cutting, small – for thin metal sheets.
General rules for the operation of equipment:
- Ensure that the teeth are always sharpened and correctly divorced.
- Do not work on a faulty machine, otherwise the result will be ruined.
- The work area should be fairly light.
- Watch the shape of the grinding wheel.
- Thanks to individual adjustment, you can achieve from the usual machine tool impressive results.
Advantages and disadvantages
It seems to many entrepreneurs that it’s more profitable to use a circular saw or a conventional jigsaw for cutting metal, in fact In fact, the band saw does the job faster and pays for itself a short time. In addition, it has many advantages:
- Saves electricity.
- Quiet and fast.
- Easily handles hard metal workpieces.
- Makes precise cuts of various shapes.
- Reduces waste.
- Work safety.
The disadvantages include the high cost of the machine, the need to prepare a saw for work every time and low durability a tooth.
Oleg: “There is a workshop in my garage. The floor is wooden, therefore, I do not risk working as a grinder. A friend advised to purchase band saw. I chose the most compact so that there is not much space occupied and now I’m not overjoyed. A pleasant impression of the machine. I recommend to buy! “.
Alexey: “I am engaged in cutting of blanks from copper for electrodes to EDM machine. After much thought, I bought a tape saw and work went faster. The main thing is to clean the machine more often and after when finished, remove the canvas, otherwise the ribbon will stretch and begin fly off. And so the band saw is made in good faith. ”
Ruslan: “I used to have a jigsaw machine, but it’s strong vibrated and it was difficult to work with him. I decided to purchase a tape saw, now the jigsaw machine and do not turn on, the first turned out much more functional! I didn’t regret the money spent. ”