Natural lawns have their own specific care, but decor techniques they allow more than rolled
This weed grass grows well on its own, but in order to grow high-quality lawn with your own hands, you will have to work hard and consider many factors: what seeds to choose, when to sow lawn grass, how to prepare the soil for sowing, how to sow and how look after. Let’s figure out how to get green with your own hands in the country cover, avoiding annoying mistakes in the form of “bald patches” and “bald spots.”
- Sowing the lawn: choose the time
- How to plant a lawn: step by step instructions
- Lawn Care
Cozy backyard relaxation area
One of the most popular varieties of lawn grass is fescue. red
Sowing the lawn: choose the time
A clear and unequivocal rule when it is best to sow according to time lawn grass, no. Sowing a lawn in the country can be carried out with early spring, when the soil warmed up enough, and until autumn frosts. Each landing time has its advantages:
- spring is a very favorable time, because it’s best fast and friendly shoots are obtained when there is no heat and soil wet. But along with the lawn, the wintered weeds
- planting a lawn in autumn can be done in two ways. First, in early September, so that for the time remaining before the frost plants sprouted, well rooted and enough time left for their processing before winter. Sowing time is determined based on that it will take 4-6 weeks to carry out all the work.
- The second way – planting in the winter, making seeds in already frozen ground, but even before the formation of sustainable snow cover. During the winter, the sown seeds will go through the process of stratification, become more resistant to disease and with the onset of heat, in sufficiently moist soil, together will hatch
- during summer planting, the soil is well warmed up, much less often weeds appear, until the time when the frost begins, the lawn will take root well. The disadvantage of such a landing is at temperature more than + 25 ° almost all seeds lose their germination. So before carefully study the forecast landing – better warm rainy weeks to pick up time.
The autumn lawn care set is very important, and mistakes in it are fraught with unfortunate consequences. For example, you can’t fertilize later than the beginning-mid-October, so that the grass does not began to rise just before the coldest
При стрижке газона следует соблюдать “правило 1/3”: срезатьтолько треть высоты травы. Слишком радикальная стрижка опасна длякорневой системы травы
Decorative lawn mowing technique: when moving with a lawn mower concentrically. Perfectly smooth circles or spirals can be achieved, fixed to the central reliable support with a cable)
How to plant a lawn: step by step instructions
It’s not easy to grow a beautiful lawn in your country house, strictly adhere to certain sequence.
Carefully prepared and leveled area before sow lawn grass will save you from many problems when further care of the lawn. Work begins with marking the future lawn, based on the general plan of the site and the style of landscape design in the country. After that, they go directly to the land work:
- herbicide treatment is the most susceptible to May vegetation exposed to herbicides. Some areas abundantly overgrown with weeds, whose seeds have increased germination, have to be processed several times, the interval between by spraying – two weeks
- site cleaning – after treated with herbicide the vegetation dries and dries, the area must be cleaned of garbage, old stumps, shrub roots, dried grass
“Дикий” вид газона в пляжном стиле. Для создания такого газонаподходит высокая трава типа красной овсяницы
Tip! If the soil is poor and needed the introduction (importation) of a large volume of fertile soil, you can fundamentally solve the problem of weeds. By deepening the order 20-30 cm, the entire area is covered with geotextiles – it will block growth weeds whose seeds remain in the ground.
Soil preparation and fertilizer
Carefully completing this step lays favorable conditions not only for friendly and quick germination and germination seeds, but also for the further development of lawn cover.
Optimum soil for the lawn – loose, fertile, good drained, but still able to retain enough moisture, have a sufficient supply of mineral elements that will provide rapid growth and sustainable development of plants:
- slaked lime or chalk is added to acidic soil
- for loosening clay areas, with heavy and dense soil, it is better to use humus or vermicompost
- if the earth is fertile, then there is no need for its deep digging – it will be enough just to dig up the top layer, to clear it of weeds. This will give less sediment and allow better align the pad
- the application of mineral fertilizers depends on the recommendations, the seeds indicated on the packaging – for each seed set it individually. Moreover, the composition of fertilizers also depends on time sowing. In the spring, they make more nitrogen fertilizers, which cause abundant grass growth, in autumn – more potassium and phosphorus, which make wintering for seeds better
- additives and soil are evenly distributed over the entire area site, the soil is additionally loosened and moistened
You can create a lawn design by combining different grass varieties flowers as well as when cutting with a lawn mower
Thanks to correctly selected mineral fertilizers, the lawn will please you for a very long time
Advice! The indicator of well-prepared soil is it is friable and does not stick to tools.
- after leveling, the area is sealed with a special heavy (up to 100 kg) with a roller, while bumps (pits, tubercles) appearing level out
The roller for leveling the surface of the site can be manual (up to 100 kg) and for lawn mowers. He is rarely needed, so his You can not only buy, but also rent
- after completion of preparation it is necessary to give the site a few weeks “relax”. On the one hand, the earth will shrink and compact, with another – the remaining weeds that will be needed will rise remove
During the summer planting of grass, you will have time to collect ascended after digging up weeds
A small area can be sown with your own hands, the use of the seeder will allow sowing over a large area more evenly, while saving planting material. And further some recommendations:
- sowing is preferably carried out on a calm day, especially if do it yourself
- with manual sowing, the lawn mixture is mixed with a similar volume of sand – this will ensure a more uniform distribution,
Grass seeds mixed with fertilizers. For more even manually sowing in the process mix the seeds with sand
- to achieve uniform distribution, the seeds are sown in two directions – first along and then across the section
- before planting a lawn, if the soil has dried up, it water, putting on a hose nozzle for fine spraying water, giving water soak well
- after sowing, the soil is loosened using a French rake and come on. So that the seeds are not blown away by the wind, additionally on top you can pour 1 cm of peat and repeat rolling
- after completion of work, the site is watered again a bit, using small spray.
The necessary procedure for the lawn is aeration. Getting more air, water and fertilizer, the grass root system becomes tighter
A very important point, especially for those who sow the lawn with their hands, because it depends on how much you need to buy seeds. On the each package of seeds must indicate the recommended consumption for 1 m2, but it should be noted:
- when using a seeder, the average consumption is 25-30 g per square meter
- with manual sowing, the “norm” is about 50 g / m
- adhere to the recommendations on the packaging when autumn landing or before winter
It’s best to sow the lawn manually on incline areas making sure the weather is more or less dry in the coming weeks. Showers can just flush the seeds
- in spring and summer, sowing density is increased at least half. In the spring, many seeds can simply be washed off with water, in the summer – lose germination due to high temperature
- seeding density depends on the place and features of the relief. Twice as many seeds are sown along the curb and paths. Sow denser on bumps and inclines, especially at the high points where the seeds come from can carry a stream of water
Advice! Buying a lawn mix, always should be taken with a margin – if suddenly for the winter or from heat forms bald spots, then you have to sow, only buy a similar mixture does not always work. If use another mixture, the lawn can radically differ in color.
It’s important not only how to plant the lawn, but also how start looking after him correctly:
- first of all – regular watering, necessarily – through shallow sprayer, large flow of water can wash weak roots. Water should penetrate 5-7 cm in depth, i.e. to the area where the active root growth
Frequent watering is the key to a healthy, lush lawn
- when reaching a grass height of 6-10 cm (depending on the type of lawn) spend the first haircut
Advice! When you first cut, use light mower – too heavy can damage until strong soil.
- the more often the haircut will be, the more intense will be formed strong root system.
Mowed grass from the grass mower mulch the lawn. This is a good weed control and some fertilizing effect
Well-rooted and strengthened grass should not be lazy often to cut. This will provide her with a good root system.
Aeration of a small lawn is possible not only with bulky machines, but also independently using such ultra-budget devices – overlays for shoes with long spiked
Do not get upset if a lawn planted in your own hands the first year will not please the emerald monolithic. The British (and they know a lot about lawns), claim that a full-fledged lawn “ripens” only for 5 years. But with proper care, timely top dressing and watering, enjoy the lawn grown with your own hands, it will be possible by the age of 3.
Moorish seed mixes – a way to create blooming all summer lawn. Of the characteristic features: very high vegetation; unsuitable for walking on it
Depending on the characteristics of the site, you can even combine realistic artificial and natural grass