Sconces are a great way to light a room
Sconce (from French bras, which translates as “hand” or “lever”) – today it is a wall lamp mounted on bracket. We can say that it’s prehistoric sconces – a torch, inserted into the crevice the walls of the cave were the first lamps in human history.
- Sconce device
- Sconces and wall lights for the kitchen, bedroom and living room: install correctly
- In the bedroom
- In the living room
- In the bathroom
- In the corridor
Modern sconces are structurally much more complex and more diverse:
- the ceiling lightly pressed against the wall is the simplest and at the same time – the most popular variety of such lamps. They look they are quite modest and discreet, but very functional and their easy to maintain – clean and change lamps. They may be most different shapes – square, oval, round, semicircular, rectangular and complex geometry. They are perfect for high-tech interiors (minimum decor, glass and metal, simplicity and technicality) or minimalism
Thanks to its variety, sconces can fit perfectly into any interior
- classic sconces with a lampshade – fixtures, using a small wall mounted brackets. Diversity designs and high decorativeness, plafonds can be most various shapes: glasses, flowers, spheres, cups, balls or cups. For retro interiors and neo-modern style, a sconce with stained glass shade (lampshade)
Wall lamp with lampshade – classic
- pendant lights – these are models of wall lights Differ in a suspended shade (bowl).
Despite the common name, even among pendant lights many different great options
A wall lamp or sconce structurally consists of a housing, lampshade (diffuser, reflector) and lamp. They may have both rigid as well as movable construction; in the latter the lamp can rotate (up to 360 degrees) around its own axis, allowing correct, quite accurately, the direction of the light flux.
The quality of the luminous flux is largely determined by the configuration diffuser (lampshade):
- if the diffuser is closed from below, the light will be directed mostly up. Getting on the walls and ceiling, he will create indirect lighting
Reflected lighting is a great way to create calm atmosphere
- if you close the diffuser from above, the light will be directed vertically down, creating a bright and clear light spot
A downward flow of light will limit the light zone
- The sconce in the classic version does not have a diffuser, therefore, in they are recommended to install lamps in the form of candles or in matt flasks
Another option is to use Edison lamps
- the most common are combined models, allowing to simulate the luminous flux, part of which just goes up and down, and part through the diffuser
Instead of a diffuser, a regular lampshade can also act
Sconces and wall lights for the kitchen, bedroom and living room: install correctly
Sconces are traditionally referred to as sources providing local lighting, in the general lighting system they are assigned secondary role. However, in some cases, especially for small premises (bathroom, small entrance) they can be used and as the main source of light.
Lamps in the form of sconces can be installed in any room, from living room to the corridor, but at the same time their placement has its own Features for every room.
In the bedroom
There are several approaches. European – an additional light source, while the sconces do not illuminate much, how much create an atmosphere – relaxation and intimacy. Lighting soft, just such as to set up a person to rest and sleep.
Soft and warm lighting and a magnificent piece of furniture
American approach – a wall lamp illuminates only part rooms, but when you turn on all the lights (floor lamps and sconces), the light it turns out quite intense and powerful, so you can discard general lighting.
Saving space on your bedside table is another plus wall lights
The traditional place for installing sconces in the bedroom is at the head of the by the dressing table, classic version (Empire, country) – sconces set in pairs and arranged symmetrically. An exception – minimalist or hi-tech bedrooms characterized by asymmetry, including – in the organization of lighting. At the head best placed sconces with brightness control luminous flux and the ability to regulate (direct) it. The switch is located at arm’s length, and some modern models even have remote control bullets.
Choosing a lamp, you also choose where they will be placed accents
Properly selected wall lights can give the sea aesthetic pleasure
Near the mirror (dressing table) sconces are arranged in pairs, on both sides, while the ceiling must ensure uniform light scattering – this will help to avoid glare and formation теневых зон.
Освещая зону около зеркала, помните, что чем больше света, темit’s better
In the living room
In modern design, sconces in the living room are used to to get harmonious indoor lighting by becoming spectacular addition to the main lighting and the original element of the general decor. Sconces in the living room help to put the required accents in created interior or visually indicate the recreation area:
- in a room with low ceilings, sconces can be placed throughout the perimeter of the room, directing the light up. On the one hand, it is will allow you to optically slightly increase the height of the ceiling, on the other – eliminate the need to install a large chandelier under the ceiling, which will only increase the feeling of pressure from the low ceiling – bulky hanging chandelier visually “cuts” valuable centimeters space.
Sconces will help to light well and evenly light the apartment with low the ceilings
Advice! In rooms with very high ceiling sconces placed closer to the floor will help add chamber room, a little “lowering” the visual level the ceiling. The dim lighting created by such “low” sconces will create a romantic and mysterious atmosphere
- a sconce mounted above a comfortable armchair with a standing nearby coffee table, will visually identify this place as relaxation area
Sconces will also help and decorate the relaxation area
- sconces can be used to illuminate wall niches
Thanks to the play of shadows, lighting niches looks very impressive
- in the bedroom / living room the sconces are used for visual zoning space. To do this, in the living area they are symmetrical are installed on the wall – when you turn on all the sconces in the bedroom area (dining room) is darkened, being “outside the field of dawn.” By it creates the feeling of being in an isolated living room
Use sconce as a way to zoning space
- wall lights symmetrically mounted above the fireplace, help not only to decorate the wall, but also to place light accents on mantelpiece items
Sconces can perfectly emphasize any interior elements
- an original element of the interior in modern (high-tech, modern) style can be a sconce with a variety of colors. Multi-colored lamps of the same shape, sustained in a single style, allow you to add disco style to your living room by adding magical mood
A simple and reliable way that will multiply decorative effect
Advice! Mirror or picture bordered by light from symmetrically mounted wall fixtures will look especially advantageous, since such Lighting does not give distortion, glare or unwanted shadows.
In the bathroom
The main function of the sconce in the bathroom is to light the mirror to perform hygiene procedures (shaving, applying makeup) was convenient. It is important to choose the right lamps that will provide the most accurate, without distortion, color reproduction and lighting in the bathroom. Sconces can be placed in two positions:
- above the mirror – while the luminous flux is directed down
- on the sides – sconces should create diffused light
For bathroom sconces, functionality is much more important. than decorative properties
By installing several sconces on the sides, you definitely don’t miss
Installing a sconce in the bathroom allows you to add this moist, sterile and visually cold room of warmth and comfort. In small bathrooms (bathrooms), a pair of sconces can easily cope with the role main lighting. The use of sconces in large bathrooms will allow enrich and somewhat complicate the overall style.
Selected according to the style, the sconces will help him significantly emphasize
In the corridor
Empty walls in a long corridor will be decorated with a series of sconces, installed at a height of 1.8-1.9 m or slightly higher. Sconces can to use also as an element of staircase decoration, for wall decorations and a small highlight on the stairs.
The sconce light against the background of dark wallpaper creates an intimate atmosphere