Table of contents:
- 1 Types
- 1.1 Cement
- 1.2 Gypsum
- 1.3 Polymer
- 2 Preparation of starter putty
- 2.1 Manually
- 2.2 Mechanically
- 3 Finishing putty
- 4 Tips and tricks
- 5 videos
In the process of finishing work, putty is very often used. This material allows you to align the walls, with their subsequent painting or gluing wallpaper. Important role in the process Putty plays the correct preparation of the mixture. It’s important take into account the proportions that are most often indicated on the labels from factory manufacturer. And if you do not take into account some details, then in As a result, this may affect the quality of work. From this article, you can find out the details of how to properly breed putty.
Although the kneading process may seem simple and more often is trusted by auxiliary workers, there are many subtleties, to be considered. For example, today there is several types of putty that are used for certain finishing work.
All types of putty, these are finely divided mixtures, differing its consistency. It can be based on polymers, gypsum, cement. Accordingly, this affects the way they are prepared and the scope use.
This type of putty is an excellent remedy. unevenness, differences and cracks in the wall. You can apply it as in damp and in dry rooms. For example, a mixture of cement The base is used for walls of building facades. Overall she subdivided into such types:
- heat insulating.
Scope of its application:
- Unheated rooms, for example, summer cottage, garage.
- Pools and showers.
- For finishing concrete, brick and stone surfaces.
It is produced in two types: liquid and dry. For example, dry requires kneading to achieve the required consistency. After it does not crack upon drying, and also has good adhesion. But this is achieved only through proper preparation and application. As for liquid, it is sold in plastic capacities. Its use is associated with some risks. So, after drying, it decreases in volume. When applied to the wall a thick layer will crack. Mostly putty cement-based is gray.
This type is more often used for interior decoration. She applied on the wall for wallpaper and painting. Gypsum putty has a nice snow-white color. If the room is high humidity, then in contrast from cement it can not be applied. Therefore, its use is possible in dry rooms where there is heating. This is usually a bedroom, hall, hallway, sometimes it is applied in the kitchen.
As for the polymer putty, it can only be applied for interior decoration. She is highly elastic. Thanks contained polymers in its composition, is characterized by durability and high strength.
In addition, putties are dry (starting and finishing) and liquid. If we talk about the finish line, then it consists of small grains. Due to this, the surface of the wall, after its application and grinding, becomes smooth and perfectly smooth. If to speak about the starting mixture, then it can be applied in a thicker layer. Therefore, it is used to align walls and seal cracks. She consists of large grains, which reduces the likelihood of shrinkage after drying out. Also on sale you can find leveling compounds, often used for primary puttying (starting). Such mixtures have high strength.
Universal have the properties of a starting and finishing mixture. Used for walls that do not have obvious defects requiring alignment.
Given these features, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the methods the preparation of these compounds.
Preparation of starter putty
There are 2 known cooking methods: manually and mechanically. Consider each process in stages.
If you do not have a mixer for mixing, then prepare the starting the mixture is real. This will require a mixing tank, water, mixture and hand tools, such as a spatula.
An important rule for manual kneading is that water is added to the mixture, not vice versa. Otherwise the mixture grabs into lumps that without a power tool and mixer will hard to break.
The breeding process looks like this:
- Take a clean container, preferably made of plastic.
- Add a few dry putty masters to it.
- Then pour the water in the appropriate proportion indicated on the label. It is important not to rush to fill the mixture with water. Do this is needed in stages.
- Now mix thoroughly with a spatula or other a handy tool that must be required clean.
- The result should be a homogeneous mixture without lumps.
It’s worth noting right away that to make such a batch manually quite difficult. Moreover, if you have a task putty a large area, then you have to do such batches Often. This is explained by the fact that to spread the putty manually only possible in small portions. Moreover, prepare the mixture using this method of the desired consistency is quite difficult.
In this case, the process of preparing the finished mixture is significantly simplified and even accelerated. To do the work you need have a screwdriver or drill with a mixer tip. Also often used punch. But here it’s important to think not about speed cooking, but about quality. Mixer speed must be about 800 per minute. Therefore, you should not get involved, including a drill or punch to the maximum.
So, first pour water into a plastic container, and then add putty. Then put the mixer on power tool and mix the mixture to the desired consistency. At lumps may form in this process. Therefore after kneading make sure they are missing.
The use of power tools and a mixer allows prepare mixtures in large portions. Moreover, the quality of the batch will be high.
When you have prepared both mixes – start and finish, their must be left for several minutes to swell. Thereafter mix it again. This will prevent the appearance of lumps. Also this will give the mass elasticity.
As already mentioned, the final mixture is used for the final finishes. As for the cooking method, it is practically no different from the technology for preparing the starting mixture. However, some subtleties should be taken into account here:
- Lumps should be completely absent in the finishing putty, since the layer of applying it to the wall can reach up to 1 mm. therefore any lumps will immediately appear, and the process of repeated mixing should be given special attention.
- Re-cooking is allowed only in a clean container. Even if before that you did a batch of finishing putty, the capacity best cleaned thoroughly. For this, it is best to use warm water. It is also necessary to rinse the mixer itself.
- During operation, residues may form on the spatula. Them It is not recommended to return to the bulk of the prepared mixture. For example, they can be removed to another container. This will prevent lump formation. If this is not possible, then the mixture mix again with a mixer.
To prevent lumps that are in the process from accumulating on the mixer Kneading may depart, immerse it in a container of water. Pre mixer in water scrolls on small revolutions.
Tips & Tricks
When working with putty, be sure to consider the following nuances:
- It is inadmissible to dilute a thickened mixture with water. It may greatly reduce its quality. To prevent this, prepare such a volume that you can work out until the moment her solidification.
- Do not put all surpluses that form during puttying into capacity with a total weight. This will lead to inevitable education. lumps. Residues can be used to seal cracks and potholes. Therefore, have another container on hand.
- It is unacceptable that when mixing, dirt or lumps remained. This contributes to its rapid hardening.
- After mixing, let the mixture stand. 3-5 minutes are enough. During this period, it will not have time to harden. After that, produce re-mixing.
If the putty cracks after completion of work, then this is a sign the fact that the technology of dilution of the mixture was violated. Also cause may be applying too thick a layer. Moreover, maybe the wall surface before by application.
As you can see, the quality of the final result largely depends on a range of activities, ranging from preparing the mixture to by applying it. But at the heart of all this is compliance. kneading technology. Therefore, be sure to observe the proportions indicated on the label. As a result, after finishing the walls, for example, after painting, they will be perfectly smooth and delight your opinion.
You will learn how to spread putty from the provided Stock Footage: