Table of contents:
- 1 Benefits and features of a green roof
- 2 The main types of green roofs
- 3 Preparatory work
- 4 Step-by-step instructions for creating a vegetable roof
- 5 videos
The concept of “living roof” appeared recently, at the end of the XIX century in Paris. The vegetation on the roof was so popular with people that now everyone can arrange such a miracle. Designers use special term “green roof”, which is getting more and more popularity and distribution throughout Europe, and our the country is no exception. Therefore, if there is a desire equip the green corner, it is worth reading this article, in which reviewed information on how to make a lawn on roofed hands. According to experts, it is necessary have patience, a small budget, as well as a great desire and then the result will please you.
Advantages and features of the green roof
In addition to the fact that this element is today squeak of fashion, and everyone wants to equip it at home, there is a number of advantages of the green roof:
- Space saving. A living roof is ideal for those who has no land or is too small. If the roof firmly fortified, you can safely walk on the lawn, do yoga or relax.
- Ecology. All materials used for erection and installation of the roof when heated emit harmful substances, but if it to cover with a green carpet, then this problem will be eliminated.
- Power generation. If finances allow, then in addition to lawn on the roof you can install solar panels that will supply the house with electricity, which will lead to significant savings resources.
- Moisture absorption. Almost all moisture that gets on the roof will be absorbed into the ground during rain, and if it is good waterproofing can not worry about the flow of the roof.
- Durability. With the right choice of plants for landscaping roofs can extend the life of the roof several times since a sufficiently large layer will reliably protect it from influence ultraviolet and precipitation.
- Additional heat and sound insulation. Thanks to landscaping the entire roof area can immediately be noted a decrease in noise, which are heard from the street, as well as a comfortable temperature in the rooms.
Since the sun’s rays will warm the lawn, soil, but only then the roof, then the rooms in the house will not heat up, and in the summer the heat will create a comfortable microclimate.
The main types of green roofs
Before you develop roof gardening, you need to get acquainted with the types of plant roofs.
Types of roof greening Extensive is a lightweight version that uses a small layer of soil, up to 15 cm high. When choosing plants preference is given to unpretentious and not requiring special care. Landscapers recommend evergreens, well-established carpet. This option is suitable for lightweight constructions, summer roofs. home, gazebo, garage.
Intensive – a complicated option, during which it is necessary greatly strengthen the rafter system to set up a roof garden with lawn, walkways and even a gazebo. Shrubs land small, decorative or exotic trees being made lighting. The thickness of the soil must be at least 1.5 m to the root system is well developed.
Flat or pitched roofs. An ideal platform to create the lawn is a flat roof on which you can equip intensive landscaping option. The pitched roof is also beautiful a simple lawn will look.
Many modern high-rise buildings and business centers have a roof lined with intense landscaping with a pool. For development Such a project requires the help of a specialist.
At the first stage, it is necessary to strengthen the entire roof at home so that she can withstand a heavy load. Thereafter it is necessary to treat the surface with various compositions according to the type of primers or water repellents. To protect the material from soil and high humidity lay root-protective film, besides it will be a protection against slipping down the ground.
When choosing a soil, it is worth giving preference to fertile a substrate in which plants will sprout quickly. Also worth use a geo-strip that will separate drainage and soil so that they did not mix.
Green Roof Compositions
If the roof has a large angle, you should use geogrids that will prevent the vegetative layer from sliding down. You can buy them in specialized stores.
Step-by-step instructions for creating a vegetable roof
Since the roof lawn is not a new technology, you can confidence to say that today for its creation exclusively durable and safe materials are used, and the installation process is quite simple.
- To create a lawn on the roof, you must have a durable bases in the form of a lathing or concrete floor, therefore if If the roof is covered with tiles, then it must be disassembled. Flat and a flat stove is also not suitable, a minimum slope of 5–10 ° so that excess moisture goes to the drain.
- After that, you can proceed to the main layers. initially protective waterproofing is installed, which will not allow moisture to pass from rain and watering inside the house. Plastic film or liquid rubber is mounted on the roof surface and secured with wood screws.
- The next step will be the laying of a thermal insulation layer, which consists of cork plates. They are stacked end to end, using special glue.
- On top of the insulation, protection against root formation is laid, which are developing quite actively in good soil, which means can damage the roof. In specialized stores you can find waterproofing materials with protection against roots.
- So that the water lingers and constantly nourishes the plants, a drainage layer is needed. Expanded clay is used for these purposes, which can be found in any hardware store and it costs inexpensively. Geotextile filtering is also provided to drainage is not clogged.
- For reliable fixation of the soil using a crate, which will hold all the soil. In most cases, use plastic low weight geogrid.
- When choosing soil, you must carefully study all the plants, that will grow on the roof. A regular lawn requires a small layer 10 cm. Do not forget that a suitable base must be porous and easy.
The waterproofing layer should be as durable as possible. lay it in two layers. If a defect appears somewhere, then it will have to be rebooted over the entire area. When choosing moss for landscaping the roof can skip the insulation layer, as this plant performs all the functions of thermal insulation.
If you had questions before, how to create a lawn on your roof, then after reading this article no difficulties should not arise. In such a simple and affordable way you can change the appearance of the roof of a private house. In addition, you can save on roofing materials while protecting the house from precipitation and ultraviolet radiation.
The video shows the phased construction of the green roof: