Table of contents:
- 1 Choice in the light of aesthetics
- 2 Calculation of the required number of decor units
- 3 Materials and tools
- 4 Preparatory work
- 5 Tile mounting technology
- 6 Tile mounting
- 7 videos
In order to waterproof and decorate the joints formed between wall and bathroom, it is customary to use the so-called corners and borders. They are made of different materials. For those, who values reliability and thoroughness, has been specially developed ceramic borders that perfectly fit into the interior of the bathroom rooms. However, it should be noted that the final result the use of the border is achieved by the correct installation. AND, although it is preferable to entrust this work to specialists, establish the border on the bath is quite possible for yourself. This article will show you how to glue the ceramic border on the bath.
Choice in the light of aesthetics
The modern market is awash with various border options from ceramics. In order not to get lost in all this diversity and competently choose a tiled skirting, you must consider the following moments:
- Sizes of a bathroom and sanitary capacity. These options affect the size of the border. If you have a small bathroom and plumbing capacity, then the curb, respectively, follows choose narrow and low, and thereby remove the emphasis from miniature of their parameters.
- The color scheme and texture of the bathroom tiles. Border can be absolutely smooth or have a texture, painted in all kinds of colors and have a concave and convex shape. What to stop your the gaze is a matter of taste. However, one should not forget that the curb should to harmonize with the color scheme and texture of the bathroom tile rooms.
Buying a tile of a domestic producer, you can acquire the appropriate texture and colors of the ceramic border complete, which can not be said, choosing a tile of foreign manufacturers – this product is not included in their package. if you it’s difficult to choose the right border option; stop your choice on the classic – the product is white and, thus, it will be merge with snow-white plumbing, and you will not break the uniform design premises.
Calculation of the required number of decor units
Determine the required number of ceramic elements Border is easy. For this:
- Using a tape measure measure all sides of the bathroom in contact with the wall, and summarize the results.
- Divide the amount received by the length of one unit of the product and round up to an integer up.
- 5-10% is added to the obtained amount of border per case damage or breakdown of the product (usually 2–4 units ceramic module).
Materials and Tools
In the process of installing a ceramic border on the bath you will need:
- waterproof tile adhesive or liquid nails;
- laser level;
- ceramic modules;
- silicone sealant, preferably having in its composition special additives that prevent the development of mold;
- mounting gun for working with sealant;
- spatula (rubber possible);
- emery bar;
- diamond wheels, grinder;
- masking tape;
- stationery knife;
Of course, some of the above may not be useful, but if you are doing the job of installing a ceramic border for the first time and do not have the relevant experience, then preparing tool and materials in advance, you will avoid hitches.
Before proceeding with the installation of a new border, it is necessary prepare the surface by cleaning it from all kinds of contaminants and removing ceramic residues if the bathtub is already pasted over with borders. The edges It is advisable to degrease the sanitary container with solvent, and after disinfect, for example, with a chlorine solution. IN completion of work, the perimeter of the bathroom is well dried and glued along the edge with masking tape.
Tile mounting technology
Installing a ceramic border to tiling walls – a rather complicated installation method, which is carried out in the following sequences:
- Using a construction gun, you must carefully and continuously fill the gap between the bathtub and the wall with sealant. Experts recommend using silicone for this purpose. sealant for aquariums, and silicone sealant in a tube (2-3 pcs. 50 ml) will be very useful in the absence of a gun.
- In order not to leave places through which water would seep, you need to smooth the sealant with a rubber spatula or in his absence, a hand dipped in water. If the gap between the bath and with a wall of more than 5 mm, it is filled with polyurethane foam.
- While the mounting foam or sealant hardens, prepare glue for a tile. By consistency, it should not be liquid, but like thick sour cream.
- In the absence of pre-purchased corner elements or so called stars – you need to take care of fitting in pairs four parts with an angle of 45 °. For this, as a rule, use a grinder with a diamond disk, and in its absence an unnecessary part tiles are bitten off with pliers and grind the cut with emery bar.
- Use the laser level to adjust the angle to 5–8 °. For example, if the border width is 5-6 cm, then its edge, adjacent to the wall must be raised by 5 mm. Then starting from angle to the back of the ceramic product with a spatula glue is applied and the border is glued to the wall. Every the next part is laid as tight as possible to the previous unit, not forgetting to immediately remove excess glue, and lightly tap with a rubber mallet.
- The curb surface is again wiped with a damp cloth and leave to dry for 8-10 hours.
- The next day, the border is abundantly poured with water to fix adhesive and leave to dry completely, thus preventing the occurrence of microcracks.
- To eliminate gaps between the wall and the curb modules use silicone or acrylic sealant, as well as special tone-on-tone water-repellent latex grout with which will be applied after laying the tiles.
So that the ceramic border looks perfect and does not stand out on the background of the walls, it is necessary when leaving this product to leave gaps the same size using special plastic crosses.
Installing ceramic borders on tiles is much easier. Work is carried out in the following order:
- They clean and degrease the surface of the bathtub and tile, which laid on the wall.
- Fill the gap between the bathroom and the wall with sealant or mounting foam, depending on its size.
- Exactly adjust the angles as described above.
- Having dried the working surface, the location of the border treated with waterproof glue, for example, liquid nails. Also You can glue a ceramic border on silicone.
- After waiting for the time indicated in the instructions, starting from the corner, apply a border, pressing the module to the surface as much as possible denser until the glue sets.
- To avoid problems with alignment of individual modules, Use of a level is recommended.
- During operation, the excess glue is removed with a spatula.
- After hardening of the glue, formed gaps between the modules treated with sealant or grout for joints.
If you do the job of installing curbs on the bath quality, then this decorated joint between the bathroom and the wall will serve you for more than a dozen years, pleasing to the eye and without delivering troubles. And the tips and instructions in the article will help you. make dreams come true. If that happens or you don’t meet your expectations – please write comments and share your experience.
Learn more about how to seal the seam between the bathroom and the wall. sealant: