Table of contents:
- 1 What, why, when
- 2 The better
- 3 Moss
- 4 tow
- 5 Felt
- 6 Flax
- 7 jute
- 8 Sealant
- 9 Technology
- 10 videos
Usually building a building is not the end point of everything project. In order for the house to serve a good period, it is important to observe rules of care and preventive maintenance. This is especially true. buildings made of logs. One of the key things to know how to caulk a blockhouse.
What why why when
Shrinkage of a house from a bar
A bathhouse or a house that was erected from a log or log house, usually shrink. In some cases, this value can reach 15‒20 cm in the first year. This factor is required. must be considered when designing. Such a phenomenon is that part moisture is lost and drying occurs. During the course of this leaks in the process where everything seemed rather tight before. To compensate this unpleasant fact will be necessary to seal the seams. Simply put, this is an event that aims to gap sealing to prevent drafts as well as reduce heat loss. Caulking is necessary after complete shrinkage, which occurs within 6-7 months.
In order to make the process as high-quality as possible logging compaction, you need to get not only good tool, but also suitable material, and also have an idea of how to use them correctly. Of fixtures we need:
- Caulk. This is a small device which in appearance resembles a chisel or chisel. Usually for high-quality tasks will require at least two types. One of them is called typesetting. The width of its blade can reach 10 cm. Thanks to her, you can quickly go through large sections. The second will be smaller size, about 2‒3 cm. It will be needed during seals of corner joints. Skillful craftsmen use a curve a tool that allows you to do the job much better, but requires special skill.
- The material with which the slots will be filled. Previously, only natural fibers were used for these purposes. Today synthetic materials have already been invented, as well as various sealants.
- Hammer. In this case, you can use any that is on the farm, but it is better if it is small sledgehammer.
Some masters believe that it will work more conveniently with a wooden or rubber mallet, as the blow is soft, the result is not damaged logs. Opinions may differ therefore, everyone chooses the most suitable for himself tool.
This moss is used for cannabis
For these purposes, swamp red moss is used. This is one of the most environmentally friendly methods. He serves as a kind of antiseptic, which prevents decay. It has been used for centuries. This the material allows the wood to breathe well. Stack it cannot be too wet, you need to let it dry a little.
If this is not done, then this can lead to joints will begin to decay and the structure will become worthless. But Keeping it dry is also not recommended. In this state, he it will be easy to crumble, and also subsequently will not be able to be sealed close the seams. Before clogging, a certain processing. A solution is prepared on the basis of water (10 l), in which 500 ml of oil and 250 g of laundry soap are added. All mix until the soap is completely dissolved. After that, the moss is steeped and laid to drain a little. For ease of roller formation, some wizards add tow fibers.
It is also a natural material that is very familiar. plumbers. Due to its fibrous structure, it serves good sealant. Some masters do not really like this fiber. The fact is that it is quite difficult to work with him. Also over time tow comes into disrepair, which will force to take out its remains and all do again. Before laying it will need to be processed a special substance that will serve as an antiseptic, as well as repel insects that can feed on the fibers themselves and harm wood.
Great material, which, like moss, allows wood breathe. It is a good filter that does not pass odors. In the modern material began to add additional synthetic inclusion, which made it even more durable. Main disadvantage the use of this solution is that the mole is very fond of feast on felt. Before caulking it is treated with special compounds that repel this insect.
Modern material that is 100% made from flax and is a waste product. It is a good a sealant which does not interfere with air circulation. Possesses some rigidity, which complicates the process of caulking.
One of the best materials. He is not only beautiful fills the gaps, but also protects the interventional space from moisture penetration. Birds do not use it for construction. their nests, so you don’t have to worry that they will peck it. It is made from linden wood. Usually imported from other countries. The material has softness and ductility.
Jute rope. In addition to its intended purpose, such caulking serves as a decorative finish.
Sealant Sealant log house
This is a modern method. Many manufacturers are involved in this the race. The material is supplied in special tubes. It is applied to joints, after which a beautiful seam is formed.
Where to stop your choice is the decision of everyone personally. All will depend on the budget, as well as on the availability of one or another material in a particular area. But the material is better not save.
How to caulk
The process of sealing interventional sutures is divided into two types. They are interchangeable and, rather, complement each other.
- Stretch. This species got its name. due to the fact that the material is stretched along the entire seam and fiber intertwined with each other. It is usually used for primary cannabis. After the erection of the log house, the cracks are still quite small, therefore, it makes no sense to hammer them with a thick layer of insulation and this useless. The material is arranged in fibers so that they are perpendicular to the logs. With a tool, he pushes into cracks. After that, the ends that remain hanging are tucked into cushion and tightly rammed into the seam.
- In a set. This method is applied after of how the log house shrunk and cracks became more noticeable. For this you’ll need to put all the fibers in a pile and make ropes out of them, which then coils into a ball. Moreover, the thickness of such the ropes will have to be calculated separately for each seam, because the cracks not the same everywhere.
After spreading the web material, the sealing process seams has been greatly simplified. Initial styling is usually done immediately when stacking logs. To do this, fit into the lunar recess rolled material and fixed using a construction stapler. Next, the log is placed in its place. No need to carry additional work after complete assembly.
Large layer of material for caulk
At primary sealing it is important not to save material, but not lay it in a large layer. One strip will not be enough therefore, two fit. One should go next to the other, and the edges protrude a few centimeters. It is very important to give log stability and ease your task when will repeated processing.
Secondary seal, which is made at least through six months is not the last. After about 4–5 years, when the building will sit down completely, it will be necessary to process the seams again. You can be guided by the following sequence:
- We clean the seams from debris and material that has come out or worn out. You can walk with a vacuum cleaner to simplify your task.
- Caulking should be done by the fan, and not by leaps and bounds. Those. you need to move around the circumference of each row. It is important not to skewed and the building was not damaged.
- You should start from the outside, and then go inside building.
- It is necessary to unwind the tape. Its length should be 15-20 cm exceed the length of the wall. This is important, because in the process of compaction folds are formed, which this stock will go to.
- Now it’s important to gently push one of the edges of the tape into the slot, to fix it.
- Next, with the help of a cauliflower and a hammer, we make a seal. For of this we raise the hanging end, tuck it and knock it out. This the operation must be completed in several passes. Don’t try to hammer everything all at once, so skewing itself may occur sealing will be worse. When inversion is several times formed a seam in the form of a rope that is tight enough not to let air in from the street.
- We repeat the operation already from the inside.
- We advance from the bottom (wage) crown to the top. Perhaps the top will be enough just neat Pull the material effortlessly so as not to interfere further shrinkage.
One must be careful not to overdo it with the layer. In the time of caulking the log house rises. If lining too thick, this can lead to the rise exceeding the size one log. The consequence may be that the dowels will not withstand and the bars will fall out.
Sealant insulation is much easier. For this a special cord of suitable diameter is purchased. He usually made from synthetic materials. Without effort, he fits into seam to cover the gap. After this, mastic is applied. Her layer should be a width of 5 mm and a height of 10 mm. After application the composition is sprayed with impregnation, and then leveled off with a small putty knife. In the first few days you will have to curtain the seams with sunny side, as usually the manufacturer advises to avoid direct sunlight until completely dry.
Sealant is also used after using natural materials. It helps protect the seal from pests and animals. Inside at home, instead of sealant, it will be possible to use twine of sufficient diameter to decorate the screwed joints.
Usually self-sealing of a log house does not cause special difficulties and does not require great skills. The only thing need – this is patience, because time will take a lot.
This video shows the process of caulking acrylic sealants: