Circular saws, also known as circular saws (capaciously nicknamed in Western Europe “mafels” by the name of the factory in Baden-Württemberg), are an integral part of any woodworking specialist. Small or large, manual or tabletop – they are all ready cut plywood, cut boards or shorten floorboards by performing with an exact straight cut. They easily handle supports benches in your gazebo and shorten the kitchen worktop to the necessary sizes. The main thing is to choose the right saw disk.
In this article, you will find brief reviews of the best circular saws on our market (we made a selection based on the characteristics of the saws, tests and user reviews). We will also advise you how to choose a circular and what to look for when it purchase. Beginners will also appreciate the description of the main drives and how work with them correctly.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 1 How to choose a circular saw
- 2 Best models
- 2.1 Makita N5900B
- 2.2 Makita HS7601
- 2.3 Bosch GKT 55 GCE
- 2.4 Interskol DP-190 / 1600M
- 2.5 Makita HS6601
- 3 What is a circular saw
- 3.1 Application
- 3.2 Who is she for?
- 3.3 Saw blades
- 3.4 How to cut with a circular saw
How to choose a circular saw
When choosing a circular saw you should consider the following parameters:
- Engine power An important parameter that determines the depth. cut, productivity and speed of a cloth. Usually higher value (expressed in watts), the deeper the cut we can to do. Typically, the power is in the range of 1000-1700 watts. Of course, the performance of a circular saw is influenced by several factors other than power: engine type, build quality, and wear resistance of the materials used. There are also cordless circular saws with different engine power. However, keep in mind that the use of such a saw is limited. After 25-30 long cuts, the battery must be recharged. But occasionally situations arise in which the cordless tool indispensable (for example, in hard-to-reach places). When buying a model with higher power consumption it is important to have inrush current limiter that provides soft start machines without power surges.
- Tool weight This is an important comparative parameter that largely determines the usability of the tool (which significantly affects the ease of sawing). For most models weight ranges from 4 to 6 kilograms. More powerful models weigh about 7 kg As a rule, the better and more powerful the saw, the more it weight.
- Sawing speed The higher the power, the deeper the cut. But in the cutting process is not only about the saw cutting, but also about how she does it. Cutting cleanliness depends not only on power, but also on cutting speed. This is determined by how much revolutions of a saw disk can make in a minute. More than rotation speed, the higher the cutting speed and the better the quality drank it up. For ordinary saws, this is about 3000 rpm. For Professional models can exceed 5000 rpm.
- Maximum Disc Diameter Pay attention to this parameter. It determines how deep your instrument can sink when cutting. In the market you can find circular saws with a cutting diameter disk from 165 to 355 mm. Generally, cutting depth (transverse sections) does not exceed 55 mm, but professional saws can cut 68 mm and more (individual models up to 130 mm, which is required for deep cutting of inclined surfaces). Disk size determines maximum cutting depth, therefore, this parameter depends on blade diameter and can not be increased.
- Product Materials They can also tell a lot about instrument. In the amateur class, you have to rely on plastic construction – such circular saws are light but less suitable for frequent use. Professional circular saws twice as heavy. Blade protection in them are made of aluminum alloy, so they are stronger, larger and are designed for prolonged use. Separate structural elements perform a protective structure and create a visual design, but connections between individual parts (welds, threaded joints).
- Transmission The above parameters are really important when choosing a circular saw, but you also need to consider which material made “box”. Vital activity of metal transmissions will last longer. The advantages include more low vibration. The disadvantage is that models with such transmission costs are disproportionately more expensive (amateur saw for 100-200 € probably will not have it).
- Guide Believe it or not, the guide is one of The most important components of a circular saw. All because it is this part that is most often regulated, moved and fixed. It is important that this process is as simple as possible. There are also special saws able to ride along the rail, which can be fixed on the material and when the saw moves you Get the perfect straight cut. In addition, it is known in advance where he will be located. This is the biggest difference from classic ruler that is relatively short and not so accurate.
- Other features Hand-held circular saws, especially high class, differ in a number of practical functions that provide more reliable and comfortable work. Pay attention to such functions like speed control, overheat protection or the ability to lock when changing the blade. For more comfort you can connect a hose from a vacuum cleaner or other suction devices. Models with larger discs (e.g. 270 to 355 mm) can be equipped with a sliding sleeve that can protect the motor from jamming the disc in the material. Thanks This blade stops, but the rotor continues to rotate. it prevents burning of the winding.
- Brand If you want to get a quality tool Be guided by brand reputation. It is from well proven and trusted manufacturers can be expected exactly the level of performance you are looking for. Advantage good spare parts availability and good service customers who offer these brands. For domestic use circular saws of such brands as Ryobi, Extol, Einhell are offered, Interskol, Bison, which can be purchased in just a few tens of euros. High-quality circular saws with greater durability can be found at brands such as Makita, Bosch and DeWalt. These manufacturers offer powerful, reliable and popular among device users. Professional circular saws are products of such famous brands as Metallkraft, Husqvarna, Mafell or Festool, as well as top models from Bosch and Makita. If you are serious about buying a hand-held circular saw, first decide how often you are going to cut it, taking into attention to additional features and features that may simplify your work, and based on this, determine the appropriate brand.
The best models
By far, the most high-quality circular models are more expensive. We will try to choose the best price / quality ratio in mid-price circular saws.
Test Winner 2019
|Power consumption||2000 watts|
|Saw blade diameter||235 mm|
|Cross section at 45 °||60 mm|
|Section at 90 °||85 mm|
Makita N5900B is a high performance circular saw for deep cutting and it has parameters worthy a true professional.
2000 Watt engine and provides idle speed stroke 4400 rpm. With a saw blade with a diameter of 235 mm is possible maximum vertical cutting depth up to 85 mm. Thus, this the saw is suitable for cutting thick worktops and even several layers material at the same time. Depth of cut and tilt angle up to 50 degrees have smooth adjustment.
Strong reliable design hides considerable weight – 7.2 kg, therefore the saw is equipped with an additional handle. Saw blade easy and is quickly replaced using the spindle lock mechanism, and engine brake prevents the risk of injury after complete cutting.
The 5900th is a true semi-professional in its field. Joiner and carpenters may well be interested in this tool.
Model with index “J” N5900BJ is additionally completed convenient case Makpac.
|Power consumption||1200 watts|
|Saw blade diameter||190 mm|
|Cross section at 45 °||46 mm|
|Section at 90 °||66 mm|
Makita HS7601 is a compact and powerful saw ideal for for precise cuts. It has a balanced design and allows you to control the cutting line well. Soft rubber grips provide comfort during work.
The circular has an adapter to remove dust, simple adjustable cutting depth and rear guide for smooth and fine adjustment of the angle of inclination. The motor housing is flat surface that helps stabilize the machine when replacing drive. The noise level is only 86 dB, which allows you to use it in indoors. This circular saw is compatible with the guide system. Makita. The set of delivery includes carbide saw the canvas.
Bosch GKT 55 GCE
|Power consumption||1400 watts|
|Saw blade diameter||165 mm|
|Cross section at 45 °||42 mm|
|Section at 90 °||57 mm|
The Bosch GKT 55 GCE circular saw shows that exactly Sawing is no limit to perfection. This Boska will conquer you high workmanship, powerful engine and, above all, ideal cutting lines.
The design of the saw is solid and of excellent quality. The tool is convenient and enjoyable at work. It lays well and lies compactly in the hand, and SoftGrip holder prevents slipping. You can also add additional handle to the device. Milled grooves allow optimally fix the guides (system rails are used Bosch, but you can install another manufacturer, for example, Mafell). Thanks to the rubber gasket, the device is absolutely not Slides and can be used without clamps. Full saw blade closed – therefore the saw is characterized by a relatively low level noise (ideal for indoor use).
1400 Watt variable speed motor work with various materials. In addition to wood, it can be aluminum or plexiglass. The angle and depth of cut can be adjusted with accuracy to the millimeter. The speed remains constant even under load. Supplied Top Precision of Wood saw blade with 48 he earned his name with his teeth and easily copes with any board.
Interskol DP-190 / 1600M
The choice of thrifty
|Power consumption||1600 watts|
|Saw blade diameter||190 mm|
|Cross section at 45 °||48 mm|
|Section at 90 °||65 mm|
Getting into hands after Bosch, of course, there is a difference in the assembly and quality of materials. The fasteners are a little loose, and the network the cable dubs in the cold and bends poorly. Included disc more suitable for rough work. Users also complain about bearing noise in the first weeks of operation, but in our specimen such no problem was observed. Ergonomics is not very well thought out and for Due to the not very comfortable grip and weight of 5.5 kg, the back quickly gets tired. In this case, a good cutting depth, smooth start-up can be written in the pros and electronic engine protection. Spindle lock makes it easy change saw blade. Well, the main advantage of this saw lies in its value. At a price of 4,500 rubles, it will be a good choice among inexpensive saws for periodic use and works that do not require perfect sawing quality.
The best compact saw
|Power consumption||1050 watts|
|Saw blade diameter||165 mm|
|Cross section at 45 °||37.5 mm|
|Section at 90 °||54.5 mm|
Successor to the 5604R, compact and lightweight 165mm HS6601 circular saw boasts a powerful engine power 1050 W, which develops idle speed up to 5200 rpm providing superior performance and results cutting. The casing of the disc and the base are made of aluminum, which allowed to reduce weight to 3.7 kg. The length of the saw is only 296 mm. A quick system for adjusting the depth of cut will please anyone demanding home master.
The kit includes one saw blade and parallel emphasis. Also it is possible to connect to the guide bus using an adapter (must be purchased separately, not included).
Well-designed ergonomics, a soft grip and light weight make HS6601 is a leader among compact circulars.
What is a circular saw
Simply put, a circular saw is a machine with the shaft with a circular saw blade.
The saw can be manual, that is, move around the material, which needs to be cut, or desktop (the material moves on table with a fixed saw). The circular can be supplied with a longitudinal and transverse guides that serve for precise, direct and clean cut.
The hand-held circular saw is primarily suitable for work in horizontal position, with the base plate lying on processed material, but you can also make vertical incision. This feature depends on the mass of the model since the saw must be held in their hands on weight.
Circular saws are widely used. Whether laying wooden floors, tile cutting, for small wooden buildings (canopy, garden house). They are used for direct cutting of solid wood, materials from cardboard, plexiglass and aluminum profiles. These saws Ideal for precise longitudinal and oblique cuts. More Precise work must be carried out using the guide bar.
Who is she for?
Circular saws are a great tool for working with wood. AND Now you do not need to be a professional carpenter or joiner to successfully apply this tool in many activities. IN In this review, we examined amateur class saws suitable for universal tasks and use up to 1000 hours per year. At a greater load, of course, you need to choose saws from more expensive segment, focusing on their features depending on specific task.
The blade is an essential element of circular saws. For more thin cut requiring high precision and quality, use a disk with a lot of teeth. If speed is more important than quality choose a disc with a lower tooth density.
- Disc diameter Always buy a saw blade with a diameter of in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Use the blades specially designed for a specific type of saw: circular, immersion, tabletop, trimming or edging. Not use a blade larger than the specified maximum diameter your saw. Smaller than recommended discs should also not be used. worth it, since the protective properties of the tools will not work properly.
- Disc thickness This indicator affects both the cutting speed, and on the quality of the cross section of the material. The thinner the blade, the better and faster cutting. On the other hand, a thin disk is subject to vibrations, the appearance of waves and overheating. Saw blades most often have thickness from 1.5 to 3.5 mm. The thinnest of them are used in miter saws for fast and clean cutting of bars and thin profiles. Thinner blades are also used in cordless saws, as their use reduces energy consumption battery and extends its service life.
- Number of teeth The more teeth on the blade, the cleaner the cut, but at the same time, the cutting speed decreases. Less amount teeth means faster cutting speed but lower quality cutting. Also the number of teeth of the saw blade depends on the type the processed material. For instance:
- hardwood sawing requires fewer teeth for quick removal of sawdust;
- for cross cutting boards it is better to use discs with large number of teeth;
- chipboard and laminate cutting requires more teeth for clean cutting without burrs;
- the harder the material, the more teeth there should be drive.
- Tooth Material Most saw blades are made from hard alloys. They offer high quality cutting and long lasting sharpened blade life. Such discs may sharpen repeatedly. Less popular (more precisely applicable to certain tasks) HSS tool steel blades.
- Tooth tilt
- positive slope is designed for cutting hard wood;
- negative slope – for non-ferrous metals and laminated plates.
- Tooth shape
- alternating tooth shape needed for fast and accurate cutting wooden blanks
- hollow tooth shape – for an accurate and clean cut of chipboard and laminate flooring
- trapezoidal tooth shape – for cutting non-ferrous metals, plastics and composite materials
For the removal of heat generated by friction, various holes and curly notches. Also there are discs covered a thin layer of teflon reduces friction in the section and prevents blade overheating.
How to cut with a circular saw
Working with wood is one of the favorite activities of every home. masters. And be able to handle a circular saw, respectively, just a must. Let’s talk a little how to work with her, so that you are productive and at the same time protected as much as possible.
- First, check the tool and the blade. A faulty saw is dangerous use, so carefully inspect the circular before work (especially if it is taken from a neighbor). Make sure the cord The power supply is intact, and the disc lock securely locks the blade. Check the saw blade for accidental chips and cracks. Watch the sharpness of the disc and the correspondence of the installed blade processed material. Set the correct depth and angle cut.
- Make sure the saw and cutting material are in the correct The position of correct posture will also make your work more effective. The heavier part of the engine saw should be closer to you. When completing the cut, make sure that the part is on a solid support, and no breakage will occur as a result of overhang material.
- Proppant knife This important tool for cutting long boards will save from jamming the saw blade and damage as the most saws and those who use it. Jamming always happens unexpectedly, so do not neglect the use of proppants knife when cutting large and very long workpieces.
- Cutting parallel to growth rings when you are cutting a piece wood with pronounced annual rings occurs 2 options. Either you cut perpendicular to them (this is normal), or parallel. There is already a problem, because the disk is controlled not only with your hand, but also with the aforementioned annual rings. IN Teflon-coated discs that help sawing a fresh tree.
- Avoiding edge splitting This is a very common occurrence. Sometimes it doesn’t matter, but it happens that the edge of the board will be visible. how is it preventable? If only one side is important to you turn it this side down, and splitting will turn out from above. Not a perfect solution, but often enough. If you want both sides of the board to look good, cut through the surface of the board on both sides with a construction knife, resulting get a clean cut without chips.
- Cut multiple boards at once if you require several boards of the same size cut them together. We stack them on top of each other so that they exactly overlap each other, and clamp them with a clamp. With the right and accurate procedure, you greatly facilitate your work, and all boards will be guaranteed the same size.
- Wall cutting You can use a circular saw for cutting drywall (of course with a suitable drive). Cut from top to bottom – so hands will be less strained and cutting accuracy will turn out higher.
- Safety When using any cutting tool, in including a circular saw, you must work in overalls. Not forget to wear safety glasses or a mask. Choose a saw and a disc in according to the type of material being processed. Use only undamaged saw blades. Be sure to disconnect the source power when cleaning the saw, changing the blade and completing work.